Monday, May 2, 2022

Gregor's Room

 

Under the Surface
White copy paper and ink.  No adhesives.
A visual response to the short story The Metamorphosis Franz Kafka.  
Bed measures 11" x 8" x 11"
 
    I wanted to portray Gregor's room before his transformation.  I felt that the beginning of the story was the clearest depiction of Gregor as a person, and set the stage for how he would respond to his traumatic metamorphosis.  When I imagined his room, I saw warm, inviting colors.  However, I pictured the furniture as very minimal and hotel-like.  He is a traveling businessman, and is constantly on the move.  So his trunk is always packed and his briefcase always ready to pick up and leave.  I also imagined his room to be very bare, because his money is all spent supporting his family.  Beneath the calm authority he holds as provider for his family, is internal chaos.  I depicted this with the wrinkled sheet beneath the symmetrical quilt.  I put the brief case spilling over with papers and cloth, because his work life spills over into his personal life.






In-Progress Photos:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Figurative Bust Sculptures

  A Cultural Conversation on Elderly Care Air dry clay, wood, acrylic paint, chalk pastels, and colored pencil. Both sculptures approx. 6&qu...